Skills and Knowledge
This website aims to summarise what every Whitehall official needs to know. The key lessons, begining with Working with Ministers, are listed below.
Once you have assimilated this material, I recommend that you move on to read Christopher Jary's highly readable Working with Ministers which covers much of the same ground in more depth.
Core Civil Service Skills
- Working with Ministers
- Effective Communication
- Presentational Skills
- Briefing Ministers and Senior Officials
- Ministerial Correspondence
- Speech Writing
- Parliamentary Business
Other Specialist Skills
- Managing Public Money
- Working with the Media
- Working with Colleagues in the Devolved Administrations
- Working within the European Union - EU Institutions, Legislation, Lobbying, Negotiating etc.
- Working in the Weeks before a General Election
- Developing Policies